Holiday Shopping Safety Tips
Sheriff's Office Provides Safety Tips for Holiday Shopping Season
Many residents will soon begin their holiday shopping. Before you head out, the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office would like to offer some general safety tips:
• Don’t flash the cash. When opening your billfold, be discreet so other nearby shoppers, or potential thieves, don’t see how much money you have.
• If using a credit card, make sure you keep all receipts (or print out order confirmations if shopping online) to compare to your credit card statement. Double check for unauthorized expenditures.
• Carry your purse close to your body, and men should consider carrying their money in their front pocket.
• Try to park in a well-lit area and have your keys ready before reaching your vehicle. If you notice someone following you, or even if you just have an uneasy feeling, don’t hesitate to press your panic alarm to alert store security or other nearby patrons.
• If shopping at a mall or store with security guards, feel free to ask one of them to escort you to your vehicle.
• Don’t leave packages or other valuables visible in your car. It is preferred to store them in your trunk, if that’s an option.
• Lock your vehicle.
• If you are shopping with small children, make a plan with them before going into the store. They should know what to do and where to go, should you get separated. It is also a good idea to help them memorize your cell phone number.
• Take a quick picture of your child using your cell phone. That way, if you do get separated, you have a current photo, which will also show what he or she is wearing.
• If shopping online, be cautious of unfamiliar sites / companies who are offering bargains that seem too good to be true.
And don’t forget, this is a dangerous travel weekend. Please buckle up (and make sure your passengers do too), drive cautiously and watch out for deer.