Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Hide All

No.  There are no county ordinances regulating stray domestic animals and Cherokee County does not have an animal control officer.  However, there is a county ordinance prohibiting any pit bulls or dog with pit bull characteristics anywhere within the county.  Additionally, Kansas law prohibits anyone from permitting a dangerous animal, or any animal with vicious propensities, to run at large or failing to take ordinary care to restrain it.


Notice of Prohibited Discrimination:

It is the policy of the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office that all individuals have the right to participate in employment, programs, and activities operated by the Sheriff's Office regardless of age and perceived or actual race, color, national origin, sex, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, and disability. As a condition of state and/or federal grant funding, the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office agrees to operate in compliance with the following statutes and regulations and all other regulations implementing the same:

  • Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color or national origin in the delivery of services and which entails taking reasonable steps to ensure that persons with Limited English Proficiency (LEP) have meaningful access to funded programs or activities. An LEP person is one whose first language is not English and who has a limited ability to read, write, speak, or understand English. (42 U.S.C. § 2000d), and the Department of Justice (DOJ) implementing regulations at 28 C.F.R. Part 42, Subpart C;


  • The Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, or sex in the delivery of services and employment practices (34 U.S.C. § 10228 (c)(1)), and the DOJ implementing regulations at 28 C.F.R. Part 42, Subpart D;


  • Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in the delivery of services and employment practices (29 U.S.C. § 794), and the DOJ implementing regulations at 28 C.F.R. Part 42, Subpart G;


  • Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in the delivery of services and employment practices (42 U.S.C.
  • 12132), and the DOJ implementing regulations at 28 C.F.R. Part 35;


  • Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in educational programs (20 U.S.C. § 1681), and the DOJ implementing regulations at 28 C.F.R. Part 54;
  • The Age Discrimination Act of 1975, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of age in the delivery of services (42 U.S.C. § 6102), and the DOJ implementing regulations at 28 C.F.R. Part 42, Subpart I;


  • Executive Order 13,559, amending Executive Order 13,279, and the DOJ implementing regulation, Partnerships with Faith-Based and Other Neighborhood Organizations 28

C.F.R. pt. 38 (prohibiting discrimination in federally assisted social service programs based on religion in the delivery of services or benefits);

  • The Victims of Crime Act (VOCA) of 1984, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex or disability (34 U.S.C. § 20110(e) et seq.); and


  • Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) of 1994, as amended, 34 U.S.C. § 12291(b)(13) (prohibiting discrimination in programs either funded under the statute or administered by the Office on Violence Against Women, both in employment and in the delivery of services or benefits, based on actual or perceived race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity) (referring to the Safe Streets Act for enforcement).


As a subgrantee from the Kansas Governors Grant Programs, the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office will comply with applicable Executive Orders related to civil rights.

Kansas Executive Order 19-02 prohibits discrimination, harassment or retaliation against an individual in employment, in the provision of State services or State programs, or in awarding State contracts or grants, on the basis of the race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, relation, national original, ancestry, age, military or veteran status, disability status, marital or family status, genetic information, or political affiliation that is unrelated to the person's ability to reasonably perform the duties of a particular job or position or that is unrelated to the entity's ability to perform the State service or program.

How to File a Complaint

If anyone believes the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office has discriminated against an employee, a client, a citizen or program participant, or anyone else, and / or if an employee receives a

complaint of alleged discrimination, please notify the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office Civil Rights Liaison by email, letter, telephone, or fax:

Cherokee County Sheriff's Office

Civil Rights Liaison Sheriff David Groves PO Box 479

Columbus, Kansas 66725 Email: Telephone: 620-429-3992

Fax: 620-429-1207


Or notify:

Office of Justice Programs

Office for Civil Rights

810 7th Street

Washington, DC 25031

Telephone: 202-307-0690

Fax: 202-616-9865

TTY: 202-307-2027

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office Civil Rights Liaison will provide written acknowledgement of receiving the complaint, will coordinate the complaint process, and will advise the charging party of the ability to file a complaint with the Kansas Human Rights Commission (KHRC) and / or for employment discrimination claims, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) and / or, if applicable, the Kansas Governor's Grant Program Office. Additionally, the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office Civil Rights Liaison will advise the charging party that a complaint must be filed with the KHRC and EEOC within either 180 days or one year of the alleged violation, depending on the relevant statute, to protect the charging party's rights.

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office Civil Rights Liaison will request the charging party provide the following information when making a complaint:

  • Date of alleged discrimination
  • Protected class claimed
  • Written detail of the alleged discrimination; and
  • A signature attesting to the facts alleged.

In no later than five business days after receiving a complaint in the form described above, the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office Civil Rights Liaison will refer the complaint in writing by email to the KHRC and / or for employment discrimination claims, the EEOC, and / or the OCR, and / or the KGGP, depending on the nature of the complaint. The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office Civil Rights Liaison will, along with the submission of the complaint, submit a request to be notified of the findings. The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office will not conduct an independent investigation but will assist the relevant investigative agency / agencies in the investigation as requested.

Public Notification:

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office shall make the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office Non- Discrimination Policy to all Cherokee County Sheriff's Office employees. The Policy is to be included with information materials given to all new Cherokee County Sheriff's Office employees and posted on the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office website.

Required Training:

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office will coordinate annual training on civil rights laws, complaint procedures, and non-discrimination obligations to Cherokee County Sheriff's Office employees.

The training will include an overview of complaint policies and procedures, including staff responsibility to refer discriminations complaints to the appropriate agencies listed above and to the designated Civil Rights Liaison. The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office employees will sign a form certifying receipt of the Policy and completion of Policy training.

Kansas law, K.S.A. 8-1344 requires the following:

* A child under the age of four years must be in a an appropriate child safety restraining 

* A child four years of age, but under the age of eight years AND who weighs less than 80
   pounds OR is less than 4 foot 9 inches in height, must ride in an approved child 
   passenger safety restraining system.

* A child eight years of age but under the age of fourteen OR who weighs more than 80
   pounds OR is more than 4 foot 9 inches in height, must wear a seatbelt.


The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office processes Concealed Carry Permits Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  Residents can obtain an application from the Sheriff's Office or on the Kansas Attorney General's Website (

Applicants must provide fingerprints, photo identification, written documentation of completion of approved safety course, along with a cashier's check or money order for $32.50 to the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office.


The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office can provide information deemed public by the Kansas Open Records Act.  These records typically include Offense, Arrest and Booking Information.

However, the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office is prohibited by law to run a criminal history background for you by utilizing the National Crime Information Center.  Residents can obtain a more thorough, statewide background check by visiting the Kansas Bureau of Investigation website (

You can renew your Kansas Driver's License at the Cherokee County Treasurer's Office, Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (open during lunch)

The Treasurer's Office is located in the Cherokee County Courthouse, 110 West Maple Street in Columbus.

Contact Information: 620-429-4858

For more information regarding Kansas Driver's License Renewal's, such as acceptable documents needed, please click on the Kansas Department of Revnue link listed below.

You may also find helpful information by going to the Kansas County Treasurer's Association website listed below.

Currently all positions are filled. However, applications can be submitted at any time through our agency website and considered when an opening occurs.

If you have submitted your application within the previous twelve (12) months, you do not need to submit another one.  We will review your initial application.

Applications can be accessed by clicking the "Cherokee County Sheriff's Office Application" link below.

Complete the application and either mail it to our office, stop by and drop it off or fax it to 620-429-1207.

Cherokee County Sheriff's Office

PO Box 479

Columbus, Kansas 66725 

The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office places a priority interest in the selection and placement of personnel and considers many factors, including, but not limited to applicant qualifications, and budgetary constraints. This agency strives to meet and exceed State standards on officer qualifications for employment while maintaining an equal employment opportunity and discrimination-free environment. 

Guidelines for Filling a Position:

Whenever a vacant position is to be filled within the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office, a number of guidelines must be maintained to ensure all applicants are treated equally to include the following: 

  1. A position vacancy notice will be posted within the agency and on the agency website.
  2. The appropriate division supervisor will evaluate applications, including:
    a. Any applicant nominated by the Sheriff,
    b. Qualified persons already employed by the agency or governing body of Cherokee County, Kansas, &
    c.  Any other qualified persons; &
    d. After screening, applicants will submit to written, physical, mental, and performance based testing.

Acceptance of Applications:

Employment applications are accepted at any time, even if all positions are filled, for future evaluation.  The completion of a regular application form will ensure that each candidate be considered for all positions within the agency for which he or she is qualified.  Applications are kept on file for at least twelve months, after which the application will be destroyed.  Applications of hired individuals are maintained in their employee file.

Term of Employment: All County Employees are “At Will” employees.  “At Will” employment is not for a specific period of time and employment may be terminated at any time, without notice or liability of any kind (except for wages earned and unpaid) and with or without cause. 

The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office employees both, sworn personnel with general or restricted arrest powers and civilian, non-sworn personnel, with no arrest powers.  Specific and detailed job descriptions have been created for each position within the Sheriff’s Office.  Different positions will have different criteria applicants must meet, or be eligible to meet, before they can be considered for the position. 

Specific Requirements – Sworn Deputy Sheriff:

Employment Requirements:

All persons seeking employment with the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office, as a law enforcement officer must:

  1. Be a United States citizen;
  2. Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;
  3. Possess a valid Driver’s License;
  4. Be a high school graduate or have passed the General Education Development (GED) Test indicating a high school graduation level.
  5. Never have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude (defined at bottom of page) or is not currently under indictment for any criminal offense;
  6. Be free of misdemeanor convictions for the last twenty-four (24) months;
  7. Never been convicted of any family violence offense (Domestic Violence);
  8. Not be prohibited by state or federal law from operating a motor vehicle;
  9. Not be prohibited by state or federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition;
  10. Be subject to personal interviews and background investigations by the division head, or their representative, and the Sheriff, to determine such things as the applicant’s motivation, appearance, demeanor, attitude, and ability to communicate.
  11. Have never had a commission or peace officer license denied by final order or revoked;
  12. Not be currently on suspension, or have a voluntary surrender of a job related license currently in effect;
  13. Demonstrate reading and comprehension skills in the English language determined through interviews and written testing;
  14. May be required to demonstrate honesty and integrity, by successfully completing pre-employment polygraph;
  15. Submit to pre-employment drug testing;
  16. Free from illegal drug use, or legal drugs that impair mental or physical performance, for the past 10 years, as determined by interview, medical, and / or polygraph testing;
  17. Demonstrate good general medical health as determined by a medical doctor, who is licensed by the Kansas State Board of Medical Examiners, and physical performance testing;
  18. Be declared in satisfactory psychological and emotional health by a psychiatrist who is licensed by the Kansas State Board of Medical Examiners or psychologist, who is licensed by the Kansas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists; &
  19. Be fingerprinted and subjected a search of local, state, and national records and finger print files.

Sheriff’s Office Additional Requirements:

Applicants will not be considered for Sheriff’s Office employment who:

  • Have pled guilty, nolo contendere, found or adjudicated guilty, or currently charged or facing charges of a Driving Under the Influence (DUI) offense, either alcohol or drugs, within the past ten (10) years in Kansas or any other jurisdiction.
  • Have pled guilty, nolo contendere, found or adjudicated guilty, or currently charged or facing charges of any drug possession, drug paraphernalia possession, or any other drug-related offense, regardless of how specified, in Kansas or any other jurisdiction.
  • Have pled guilty, nolo contendere, found or adjudicated guilty, or currently charged or facing charges of any Domestic Battery offense involving physical injury to another person in Kansas or any other jurisdiction.
  • Is the respondent in an Ex Parte or Permanent Order of Protection remaining in effect in Kansas or any other jurisdiction.

***Other convictions for a minor misdemeanor offense will not necessarily disqualify the applicant, however the Sheriff will look closely at the circumstances surrounding any criminal arrests or convictions.

Other Testing of Sworn Law Enforcement Officers

Individuals applying for a position as a sworn officer of this agency must continually demonstrate the ability to perform physical and mental tasks under stressful and often confusing circumstances.  At time of application and periodically thereafter, officers may be required to demonstrate these abilities without assistance.  Minimum demonstrations of ability include, but are not limited to:

  • Disassembling, reassembling, loading, firing, and performing malfunction drills with a semi-automatic pistol, rifle, and shotgun;
  • Handcuffing and restraining resisting suspects;
  • Giving loud verbal and hand signal commands that can be understood at 50 yards;
  • Using a long baton, and chemical dispensing weapons on command; Accurately and consistently following verbal, written, and hand signal commands, without hesitation, or assistance;

An applicant for a sworn position that cannot perform these minimum tasks will not be accepted.  Sworn officers of this agency that cannot demonstrate proficiency in these areas annually may be reassigned to non-sworn duties or dismissed from the agency.

Additionally, sworn officers will be required to obtain certification from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center and the Kansas Commission on Peace Officers’ Standards and Training. 

Specific Requirements – Non-Sworn Employees

Non-Sworn civilian employees, and sworn employees with restricted arrest powers (such as correctional officers) must normally meet all of the same requirements as sworn employees, with the following exceptions:

  • Non-Sworn civilian employees and sworn employees with restricted powers must only be eighteen (18) years of age rather than twenty-one (21) years of age.
  • Non-Sworn civilian employees are not required to submit to psychological evaluations.

*** Other potential applicant disqualifiers include, but are not limited to:

  • Not possessing the minimum qualifications for the position
  • Failing to be punctual in taking prescribed tests or undergoing evaluation;
  • Making fraudulent statements during interview, or on any application; or
  • Failing to properly complete the application in the manner prescribed.

*** It should also be noted that all employees of the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office will be required to work together as a team to accomplish the goals and objectives and fulfill the Mission Statement of the Sheriff.  Irrespective of designated job titles or job descriptions, each Sheriff’s Office employee will be expected to perform any tasks, duties, or assignments, which he or she is qualified for and capable of performing, that are directed by his or her supervisor, even though such duty or assignment may not fall within the specifications of a job description or be part of the normal duties and responsibilities of the position held.




Moral turpitude – The act of baseness, vileness, or the depravity in private and social duties which man owes to his fellow man or to society in general, contrary to accepted and customary rule of right and duty between man and man.  Act or behavior that gravely violates moral sentiment or accepted moral standards of community and is morally culpable quality held to be present in some criminal offenses as distinguished from others.  The quality of a crime involving grave infringement of the moral sentiment of the community as distinguished from minor laws.

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office will fingerprint persons upon request as part of pre-employment criminal history background checks.  Residents should come to the Sheriff's Office Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. to have this process complete.

Cherokee County Jail
Cherokee County Sheriff's Office

The Cherokee County Jail is located at 915 East Country Road, Columbus, Kansas.

Inmate visitation is held is held via video available Saturday's from 2:00p - 9:00p and Sunday's from 3:00p - 9:00p.

Those wishing to visit with an inmate can do so at the Sheriff's Office during the times listed above. 

Additional visitation related questions may be made by calling (620) 429-3897 Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.


You may renew your vehicle registration online by going to the Kansas Web Tags site listed below. 

No.  If you live in Kansas, your vehicles must be registered by the State of Kansas.

You can obtain your Kansas License Plate and Registration from the Cherokee County Treasurer's Office, after having a Vehicle Identification Number inspection by a law enforcement agency.

The Treasurer's Office is located in the Cherokee County Courthouse, at 110 West Maple Street, Columbus, and may be reached at 620-429-3848.


Kansas Law and the Kansas Attorney General's Office have reviewed this issue.

If you reside in Kansas, regardless of whether or not you own property in another state, you must obtain Kansas Registration for your vehicle(s). 

The relationship between a landlord and his/her tenant is one of a private, civil nature.  As such, the Sheriff's Office cannot mediate or decide these disputes.  If the parties involved cannot reach an agreement, they will have to take their case to court.  They may do this by contacting an attorney, or in some cases, file a case with the Clerk of the District Court.

For additional information concerning the landlord/tenant relationship, visit


Missing Persons reports are separated into two general categories:

Missing/Runaway Juveniles: The parent or guardian of any juvenile (under 18 years of age) may file a missing person-runaway juvenile report at any time.  These reports will be immediately entered into the NCIC law enforcement database, which would serve to alert any officer from any jurisdiction having contact with the juvenile that he or she is listed as missing or a runaway.  Radio notification will be made to all officers on duty.  Deputies will also follow-up on any leads provided by the parent/guardian as to the possible location of the juvenile.

Missing Adults: Any person eighteen (18) years of age or older is considered to be an adult with full freedom of movement and liberty.  Exceptions would include persons 18 years of age or older who remain under the legal guardianship of another adult or protective services.  Deputies will take reports of missing adults at any time.  The extent of any follow-up will depend upon the circumstances of the disappearance.  For example, if evidence indicated that the missing person was endangered or may have been forcibly abducted, deputies would immediately begin following up on leads.  If the missing person simply has not been seen recently but no evidence of foul play was found to exist, then our options and responsibilities in those cases are limited under the law and department policy.


General Noise Complaints: Cherokee County does not have an ordinance prohibiting loud or excessive noise that would constitute a nuisance.  Many municipalities have such an ordinance, but Cherokee County does not.  Therefore, when we receive complaints of loud noise, loud music, etc., we generally have very limited options open to us other than to politely ask the person responsible to turn it down.  Only in very extreme cases could a disorderly conduct type charge potentially be filed.


Kansas Amber Plan logo
Kansas Amber Plan
NetSmartz Internet Safety for Kids logo
NetSmartz Internet Safety for Kids
Missing and Exploited Children logo
Missing and Exploited Children
Kansas Attorney General seal
Seal of the Kansas Attorney General's Office
Drug Enforcement Administration logo
United States Drug Enforcement Administration
Federal Bureau of Investigations seal
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Kansas Wildlife & Parks logo
Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
Kansas Highway Patrol artwork
Kansas Highway Patrol
Columbus City Hall
Columbus City Hall
Baxter Springs, Kansas logo
Seal of Baxter Springs, Kansas
Kansas Department of Corrections logo
Kansas Department of Corrections
Kansas Bureau of Investigations seal
Kansas Bureau of Investigation
State seal of Kansas
Kansas State Seal
National Center for Missing Adults logo
National Center for Missing Adults
Kansas Department of Emergency Management seal
Kansas Department of Emergency Management
Kansas Sheriffs' Association logo
Kansas Sheriffs' Association

National Sheriffs' Association logo

National Sheriffs' Association
 Kansas Peace Officers Association seal
Kansas Peace Officer's Association
 Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center badge
Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center
 Kansas Commission on Peace Officers Standards and Training seal
Kansas Commission on Peace Officer's Standards and Training

 the Kansas State Capitol building

Kansas State Capitol
 The United States Capitol building
United States Capitol
 Cherokee County Emergency Management seal and contact information
Cherokee County Emergency Management



Many other useful sites can be accessed by clicking the links below.

Cherokee County Emergency Management Office
Cherokee County Health Department
City of Baxter Springs
City of Columbus
Drug Enforcement Administration
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Heartland Crime Stoppers
Hodgeman County Kansas Sheriff's Office
Internet Safety for Kids
Kansas Amber Plan
Kansas Attorney General
Kansas Bureau of Investigation
Kansas Commission on Peace Officer's Standards and Training
Kansas Department of Corrections
Kansas Department of Emergency Management
Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
Kansas Highway Patrol
Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center
Kansas Legislature
Kansas Peace Officer's Association
Kansas Sheriff's Association
Missing and Exploited Children
National Center for Missing Adults
National Sheriff's Association
State of Kansas Official Site
United States Congress
United States Senate

Personal Property Exchanges: People frequently come to the office wanting a deputy to accompany them to a residence to retrieve or recover personal property.  We will generally try to assist people at the time they call or come in, if the property exchange or retrieval can be handled in 15 minutes or less.  If it will take longer than that, then the parties involved will need to contact the Chief Deputy so he may arrange for a Reserve Deputy or another Deputy to come in at a pre=arranged time to handle the matter.  The sole purpose of the deputy will be TO KEEP THE PEACE.  Any property over which ownership is in dispute will remain with the person who has it until a Judge orders otherwise, regardless of any receipts or paperwork showing who purchased the article. 

Obtaining Copies of Reports and Records: Most Sheriff's Office records are public information under the Kansas Open Records Act and are available for public viewing.  There are several exceptions to this, including reports and paperwork relating to criminal cases remaining open and under investigation, certain personnel records, records sealed/expunged by court order, and records relating to juveniles (under 18 years of age).

Accident Reports: Patrol Deputies prepare reports on traffic accidents they have investigated within Cherokee County.  These reports are typically filed with the office manager within ten (10) days of the date of the accident.


Property Boundary Disputes: Occasionally, the Sheriff's office is asked to intervene and settle real estate disputes concerning property line boundaries.  These are private, civil matters between the parties involved.  A Judge must settle them in court if the parties cannot agree among themselves.  We cannot examine property deeds or survey documents or landmarks to determine or settle property boundary disputes.  We will take a written report if asked for informational purposes only, but that must be the extent of our involvement in these issues.  Of course, if a court issued orders requiring the Sheriff's Office to perform some act or function relating to a property dispute, we would follow the order of the court.

A Protection From Abuse Order (PFA) is a court action intended to bring about an end of the abuse towards you and/or your children. 

To qualify for a Protection From Abuse Order, you and the person you want restrained must be intimate partners or household members, meaning you must:

* Be residing together, OR
* Have formerly resided together, OR
* Be the parent of or living with a child who has suffered abuse by the party you are 
   attempting to restrain, OR
* Have a child in common, OR
* Be in or have been in a dating relationship, AND
* The person has intentionally attempted to cause you or a child bodily injury, or
   intentionally or recklessly caused bodily injury, OR
* The person has intentionally placed, by physical threat, you or a child, in fear of
   imminent bodily injury, OR
* The person has engaged in certain sexual conduct with a child less than 16 years of
   age who is not the spouse of the offender.

 How to Apply for a Protection From Abuse Order

* You may call 1-800-723-6953 to contact the Legal Services of Southeast Kansas.  This
   is the organization that assists residents in Cherokee County in obtaining a PFA.

* Forms for obtaining a PFA order may also be found on-line at

What can happen with a PFA Order?

When you receive a Protection Order, the court is empowered to order any or all of the following:

* Restraining the defendant from abusing, molesting or interfering with the privacy or
   rights of the plaintiff or of any minor children of the parties.

* Granting possession of the residence or household to the plaintiff, to the exclusion of 
   the defendant.

* Requiring the defendant to provide suitable, alternate housing for the plaintiff and any 
   minor children of the parties.

* Awarding custody and establishing a parenting plan with regard to minor children.

* Ordering a law enforcement officer to evict the defendant from the residence or 

* Ordering support payments by the party for the support of a party's minor child or a
   party's spouse.

* Awarding costs and attorney fees to either party.

* Making provision for the possession of personal property of the parties and ordering a
   law enforcement officer to assist in securing possession of that property, if necessary.

* Requiring the person against whom the order is issued to seek counseling to aid in the
   cessation of abuse.

* Restraining the defendant from cancelling utility service to resident for 60 days.

* Ordering or retraining any other acts necessary to promote the safety of the plaintiff and
   the minor children.

What you should Know

You may request that the PFA order be in effect for up to one year.  You may file only two
PFA petitions within a 12-month period.

Your PFA order is not enforceable until it has been served on the defendant by authorized personnel.  If the defendant violates the order before it is served, you can still call the police.  The police will not be able to arrest him for violating the order, but they can still protect you.

If the defendant needs to pick up personal property from the home, be prepared to tell the judge when that is convenient for you.  The defendant must have a police escort if he needs to come to the home for personal belongings.

The defendant can be ordered to pay child or spousal support.  Take time before the second hearing to make a list of expenses and how much you will be asking for.  You may be asked to complete this information at the time you file your petition if you are asking for support.

You can ask for court-ordered counseling for the defendant.

If there are children, the Court may require you to file a temporary parenting plan with the petition and/or final order.  Be precise about visitation times, location and duration.  Avoid vague language such as "reasonable".  If you are requesting no visitation or supervised visitation with the defendant, be prepared to explain to the judge why such an order is necessary.  The Court may also ask you to provide information about where the children have been living for the last few months.

Your PFA order is enforceable where it is issued and in all other jurisdictions.  This includes all 50 states, Indian tribal lands, the District of Columbia, the US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands and Guam.

The information on this page is a summary of the law.  For more information or legal advice, you should seek the assistance of an attorney.


Advocates may be available to assist you with the filing of your PFA order, accompany you to court and provide information to you and your children.  These resources are available by calling the Crises Center of Southeast Kansas at 1-800-794-9148 or (620) 231-8251 or by calling the Kansas Crisis Hotline at 1-888-END-ABUSE



The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office strives to treat all persons having contact with our agency in fair, equitable, and objective manner, in accordance with the law, and without consideration of their race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religious dress, or other individual characteristics.

Individuals who wish to make a complaint of racial profiling may do so by delivering a signed written statement to any agency supervisor or the Sheriff.  In addition, you may file a complaint with the Kansas Human Rights Commission (785)-296-3206, or the Kansas Attorney General (785)-296-2215.

The Sheriff’s Office will compile an annual report of all complaints of racial profiling received and shall submit the report on or before July 31 to the Office of the Kansas Attorney General for Review.  The annual report shall include (1) The date the complaint was filed; (2) action in response to the complaint; (3) the decision upon disposition of the complaint and (4) the date the complaint was closed.

These reports will be open public records and shall be posted on the official website of the Kansas Attorney General

The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office closely monitors the registration status of offenders required to register with the Sheriff’s Office under the Kansas Offender Registration Act.  We will take immediate enforcement action on offenders who refuse or fail to maintain a current and accurate registration status.

These offenders may be convicted of certain violent, drug related, or sex crimes.

Residents may find offenders by clicking on the tab on the home page of this website.  From there you can review a list of offenders in Cherokee County and sign up for email updates. You may register as many physical addresses as you would like, such as schools, parks, or other areas where your children frequent.  We will then notify you by email anytime a new offender moves into those areas.  In addition, you can also indicate any specific offenders you would like to be notified about should his / her registration status or information change.

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office conducts Offender Registrations Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m.

Offenders will need to bring appropriate court documents or those from probation / parole officers, along with current information on home address, work address, vehicle, license plate, etc...  In addition, all offenders are required to pay the $20.00 fee every time they register or update their registration.

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office closely monitors Registered Offenders to insure they are in compliance.  If you fail to comply with your registration compliance, we will seek criminal charges against you.

This list was obtained from the Cherokee County Office of Emergency Management on April 5, 2016.  Their website can be found at: Emergency Management


Storm Shelters in Baxter Springs:

Baxter Police Department **NOT A SHELTER** Announces shelter over TV

Storm Shelters in Columbus:

*First Christian: 128 W Elm
*Cherokee County Court House: 110 W Maple
*Park Elementary School (ONLY AFTER SCHOOL HOURS)

Storm Shelters in Galena:

Liberty Grade School: 702 East 7th Street

Storm Shelters in Riverton:

Spring River Wellness Center

400 and Quakervale Road

Riverton, Kansas


Roseland City Hall


Weir Elementary School

303 South Humbert

Weir, Kansas 

Rules for all Cherokee County Storm Shelters:
1. No pets allowed
2. Must remain in designated area
3. No smoking
4. Parents must stay with children
5. No weapons of any kind on premises
6. No drugs allowed on premises


For more information, please click on the link below to the Cherokee County Emergency Management Office.

District Court Clerks Office


Citations issued by Cherokee County Sheriff’s Deputies may be paid, unless required to appear in court, by contacting the Cherokee County District Court Clerk’s Office.  The Court Clerk’s Office is located on the 2nd story of the Cherokee County Courthouse, which is at 110 West Maple Street, Columbus, Kansas.  They can be reached Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. or by calling (620)-429-3880.

You may also choose to pay your fine online by clicking the "Cherokee County Online Citation Payment" link listed at the bottom of this page.

You may make an online payment after your citation information is entered into the system.  This typically can take up to five (5) days from the date you received the citation.

They online payment method is only available to those who are not required to appear in court.


Additional Information

Cherokee County Online Citation Payment

Only in cases of an EMERGENCY, such as a small child being locked inside a vehicle, can the Sheriff's Office send someone to assist with gaining entry to your personal vehicle.  Our deputies do not carry any unlocking tools in their patrol cars, and potential liability for property damage will not allow us to unlock personal vehicles.

In non-emergency cases, you would need to call a professional locksmith to assist in gaining entry into your vehicle.

The Cherokee County Sheriff's Office conducts Vehicle Identification Number Inspections Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

You will need to bring the vehicle, title, driver's license, and the $20.00 fee.

Vehicles with Salvage Titles must be inspected by the Kansas Highway Patrol.  They are on-site at our office on Thursday's from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. to conduct these inspections.

The Sheriff's Office frequently receives requests to perform what we term a "Welfare Check" on another person.  These generally occur when people are unable to reach a family member or close friend in Cherokee County and are concerned about the personal health and welfare of that person.  We will generally dispatch a deputy to the address provided by the caller to see if contact can be made with the person in question.  If contact is made, and if deemed appropriate and necessary, the deputy will conduct a brief, cursory and informal investigation to determine the physical and/or mental health and well being of the person, without violating his or her privacy rights.  The deputy or dispatcher will then re-contact the caller to provide information on what was learned.

Another frequent request is one from a parent for a deputy to check on the "welfare" of minor children in the permanent or temporary custody of the other parent.  The Sheriff's Office will generally agree to make one (1) such welfare check on the children, provided the parent making the request can provide specific reasons based on facts that the welfare of the minor children is somehow being jeopardized.  One parent will NOT use us, as a tool to harass or intimidate the other parent because of a custody issue or dispute that remains unresolved by the courts.

Submit an Anonymous Crime Tip