Firework Safety Tips
In an effort to ensure that your Independence Day Celebration is safe and enjoyable, the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office would like to provide the following Firework Safety Tips:
- Bottle rockets and other skyrockets that are mounted on a stick are illegal
- Never experiment with homemade fireworks
- Never attempt to re-light malfunctioning fireworks
- Never position any part of your body over fireworks when lighting them
- Adults should always supervise firework use by children
- Never give fireworks to small children
- Always read and follow label instructions
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Have a “designated shooter.”
- Have a water source handy, in case of fire
- It is illegal to shoot fireworks on or under a vehicle, on any public roadway, within 50 feet of a firework stand or where fireworks are stored, and gas stations or any place liquid gas – including propane- is stored.
- Many cities have other rules and regulations regarding the discharge of fireworks. Check with your local police department or city hall if you have questions about when or where fireworks can be discharged.