Sheriff's Office Offers Firework Safety Tips
This is a time of year to celebrate American Independence and the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office wants to help make sure everyone celebrates safely.
According to Sheriff David Groves some basic but important safety tips to remember include:
- Parents should closely monitor their children if / when they are lighting fireworks
- Never give fireworks to small children
- Always read and follow the instructions on the label
- If a firework malfunctions, do not attempt to re-light it.
- Never experiment with homemade fireworks or alter those purchased from a vendor
- Bottle rockets and other skyrockets that are mounted on a stick are illegal in Kansas
- Never position any part of your body over fireworks when lighting them
- Have a water source handy, in case of fire
- Alcohol and fireworks don’t mix. It’s best to have a “designated shooter.”
“In addition to these tips, residents are encouraged to know any specific ordinances their city may have regarding what days and during what times fireworks are allowed to be discharged,” stated Sheriff Groves. “We also encourage those shooting fireworks at night to be mindful and respectful of their neighbors and their property.”
“There’s nothing better than celebrating this amazing country, and if we all exercise common sense and celebrate responsibly, we can ensure it remains a safe celebration,” concluded Sheriff Groves.